The Żywiec railway station was built in 1878. Within a few years, the city became an important hub along the Carpathian Transversal Railway, connecting Čadca (now Slovakia) with Stanisławów and Husiatyń (now Ukraine). The line, with a length of 800 km, ran through Zwardoń, Żywiec, and then through Sucha Beskidzka, Nowy Sącz, Krosno, Sambor, Drohobycz, and Stryj. It was once of great economic importance. Currently, trains run along a part of the line.